Looking to replace the poles for your factory-standard tent or new poles for your tarp, hammock or other outdoor structure can be a daunting task. Peruse this list of the top 10 poles for camping and hiking.
Top 10 Tarp Poles for Camping and Hiking
1. Telescoping Poles by Green Elephant
The twist-and-lock mechanism of Green Elephant’s Tarp Poles is adjustable with a telescoping design. It comprises anodized aluminum for strength and durability. There’s a steel tip for grommets and a rubber cap to prevent slipping. Each pole weighs about a pound, can support over 85 lbs and packs down to 31 inches.
2. Aluminum Tarp Poles by Weanas
The air-craft grade aluminum tarp poles from Weanas use a bungee cord that guarantees all pieces snap together. You can cut the tubes to suit the length you need. Each pole weighs over a ½ lb each and come in six lengths ranging between 11 ft 3 inches to 20 feet.
- These are affordable and strong
- Great for emergency use when factory-standard ones fail
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- They’re not adjustable
- Cutting and rethreading can be cumbersome and time consuming; you can’t make a mistake or they will be useless
3. Portable Poles by Sunnyglade
These adjustable and durable tarp poles comprise aluminum alloy which makes them lightweight but strong against high winds. The telescoping rods are great for tarps and tents. With this set of two, each extends to just over 9 inches with a retraction to just over 3½ ft.
- Easy to use, store and carry.
- Adjustable and clearly marked for rotation
- Tend to be short and not good for oversized tents or tarps
4. Heavy-Duty Tarp Poles by REDCAMP
REDCAMP made their heavy-duty tarp poles with premium aluminum alloy that won’t bend or break under even the windiest of conditions. They’re adjustable, featuring an electroplated surface making them rust-resistant and anti-slip. They can reach a max length of 90½ inches with an advanced twist-locking mechanism.
- Galvanized iron tips
- Removable plastic tip covers
- Easy to store and carry
- Some people report these aren’t nearly as strong as promoted
5. Adjustable Tarp Poles by SaphiRose
These aluminum alloy tarp poles by SaphiRose are the fastest and most convenient to setup. There are two rubber caps that install at the base to prevent slipping. Each pole extends from just under 35 inches down to just over 9½ inches.
- Super strong and durable
- Light and easy to carry
- Double holes in the head for extra rope
- The sections trap a lot of water
- Limited variety of use
6. Telescoping Adjustable Poles by Odoland
Odoland’s telescoping tarp poles are lightweight, strong and made of aluminum. Each pole comes in three pieces, making it easy to breakdown and pack into the provided bag. It’s compact and quick to setup. Together, the poles weigh just under two pounds and are under 27 inches when fully collapsed.
- Works with almost any structure
- Holds up well in strong winds
- Low price and incredibly efficient
- May have to buy additional equipment to prevent bending
- Sections aren’t adjustable.
- Difficult to collapse after using
7. Aluminum Poles by SUFTMUOL
This two-pole pack by SUFTMUOL is strong and lightweight, weighing just over 2½ lbs. The design can withstand almost any weather condition. They come in three collapsible sections.
- Adjustable sections and made of 6061 aluminum alloy
- Comes with a zipper case
- Versatile twist-lock design
- Galvanized iron tips
- Water gets trapped in the sections
- Not as sturdy as advertised
8. Adjustable Ball-Bearing Tent Poles by SanLike
These adjustable aluminum and stainless steel tent poles by SanLike offer lightweight and rust-resistant support to any structure. The spring joints are stainless steel and can extend from less than 17 inches and go as high as 78 inches.
- Stronger than most other poles
- Easy to use and setup by one person
- These are not light and difficult to carry long distances
9. Tent/Tarp Poles by BATDIYOW
This two-piece set of tarp poles from BATDIYOW has an adjustable design of iron tubing from galvanized steel. One pole reaches up to 75 inches and breaks down into two sections with the option of connecting poles.
- Adjustable, versatile and easy to add or remove sections
- Easy to assemble and breakdown
- Strong, durable and reliable
- These aren’t durable enough for the money
10. Telescoping Poles by Gold Armour
USA-based Gold Armour delivers durable, lightweight and adjustable tarp poles. They’re made of high-quality aluminum alloy and ranges in length between 3 ft up to just over 7½ ft. Each pole weighs about one pound with an anti-rip and anti-slip design.
- Easy to adjust and lock into place
- Aligns almost any tarp
- Removable silicone tip cover
- Comes with a five-year warranty
- Comes with reflective guylines and plastic adjusters
- Locking mechanism isn’t reliable